Monday, July 20, 2015

The Long Run That Didn't Happen Monumental Training Week 7

Hi there! I'll get more into the title later but first, let's get the week wrapped up!

Monday, as usual, is track day. Lynnae had my workout as a 2 mile warm up, then 2 X 800, 2 X 400, 2 X 200 with a 1:1 rest between the intervals, then a 2 mile cool down. I thought I had figured what time I needed to get started in order to get it all in before work, but I miscalculated. So, I had to cut the cool down short.

I got my warm up miles in (11:49, 12:10) and stepped on the track. It was a VERY humid morning, think 75 degrees with 95% humidity at 5:45 in the morning. I started my intervals, and got my 800's in at a slow pace for speed work (9:12 pace for both). Those were tough, I'm not gonna lie. Then I started with my 400's and finished the first in 1:54 (8:44 pace). When I was halfway through the second, I thought I was going to get sick (I didn't). I walked for about 10 seconds, then finished in 2:11. The 200 was quicker, which is the intention. I finished in 0:52 and 0:50 (6:41 pace average). I pushed myself and again, felt sick. And again, didn't happen. I know it was just from pushing so hard on the intervals combined with the heat and humidity. I got a quick drink, and started my cool down miles. I looked at the time, and realized that I did not have enough time to get both in, stretch and recover, and get ready for work on time. So, I ran .8 miles for a cool down, and called it a day. Total miles for this workout - 5.37

When I got home and looked at my splits, it made me happy that I was able to push that hard at the end of my workout! What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and I can tell the track is doing that for me! Life happened, and I didn't get a strength workout in Monday after work.

Tuesday morning, I did a Yoga with Adrienne video, specifically hips and hammies in her weight loss series. It felt great, and was just what I needed to stretch out my legs.

Wednesday morning, I headed out for 5 miles. I was to do 1 mile easy, 3 miles at threshold pace, 1 mile easy. My warm up/easy mile was 12:15, then I  ran 10:24, 10:04, and 10:02 for my 3 miles. My cool down was 12:30. I didn't bring music, didn't stop for water, and kept my breathing in check so that I didn't have to stop during my 3 miles. It was a great run!

I was lazy Thursday, and only foam rolled a little bit.

Friday was 4 easy miles plus strides. It was hot and humid and I slowed as the run went on. Splits were 11:01, 11:34, 12:05, and 12:48. I did 6 strides to finish with 4.78 miles.

On a non-running note, Friday night, I was inducted into the Casey Softball Hall of Honor! I join a wonderful group of athletes (male and female) who have helped shape Casey softball to the powerhouse that it is.

Now on to the long run. I signed up to play in a slow pitch benefit tournament to help the 14u Illiana Dream Seams get to Nationals. I should have know that I would be playing the 8 a.m. game. I decided to push my run to Sunday, so I didn't have to get up and out the door at 3 a.m. to get my 9 miles in and recover before playing. It was a cutback week, but I still had to leave super early for softball. I ended up playing in 7 games, over the course of 15 hours, and we got 2nd place.

I woke up Sunday with every muscle in my body screaming at me to stop moving! Holy moly am I sore! I went to breakfast with mom, decided that the run couldn't happen, and went back to sleep. I felt guilty for a little while that I didn't get it in, but decided that if I could barely move my legs, there was no way I was going to be able to run 9 miles and have an effective workout without injury. I took a rest day and foam rolled.

Except for Wednesday, this was a crappy week. I shorted myself over a mile in Monday's run, and didn't get the long run in at all. Hopefully this is the last training run missed. This is the reason I decided that I wouldn't be playing much in fall league. My marathon is my priority, and I cannot miss another run because I have softball. I know I will miss it, but I need a break. I've played every year for the last 5 years, I believe. Time to shift into marathon mode and kick this coming week into high gear!

Total weekly miles - 15.15
Total Monumental miles - 127.72

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment