Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Monumental Training Week 6

Another week is in the books! Race day will be here before I know it! Only 18 weeks to go! So let's get with it, shall we?

The track workout for Monday was a ladder workout. I ran a 1.6 mile warm up (it was supposed to be 2, I cut it short), then had a ladder of 800, 400, 200, 200, 400, 800 with a mile cool down. My recovery between intervals was a 1:1 this workout. My warm up took me about 20 minutes, then it was down to work.

My first 800 was 4:28. I immediately knew it was going to be a tough day. Then, the 400 came out 1:58, and the 200 in :55. I was starting to feel good! My next 200 matched the previous at :55, then my legs started feeling very sluggish. The next 400 was 2:09, and the 800 was 4:42. Not even close to my previous splits. I didn't eat before the run, and I think I just ran outta fuel. My cool down 1.03 was in 13:18. I went the extra .03 to get me to an even 5 miles. I am obsessive about not stopping when it is that close! Anyone else like that?

I got in a strength workout after work. That's two weeks in a row! Let's see if I can keep this going! I worked on core, glutes, and arms. Gotta keep balanced!

I met with Lynnae on Tuesday to go over questions, and look ahead to the next month. We updated my paces, and talked about improvements.

Wednesday was a 5 mile hill workout. I picked a completely different route than I'm used to. Usually I get about 30 feet or so of total climb running through town. Flat as a pancake Casey is not good for hill training. I also ran in the evening instead of my normal morning run. Luckily, it was a cool grey day, so it wasn't bad at 5 p.m.

I didn't worry about my pace during the run. It worked pretty well! My splits were 10:42, 10:46, 10:28, 10:44, and 11:18. My legs were tired toward the end, but I kept pushing down the hills as per the workout. The uphills were done easy, well as easy as hills can get. Total climb - 226 feet, total drop - 232 feet. More than my last hill run, and I like this route better!

I didn't do yoga, or roll on Thursday. And I could tell during Friday's run. My left hip and my right glute were both tight. No pain, just tight. I walked a lot, and ended up stopping at 3.21 miles instead of 4 plus strides. I didn't want to push it when my body wasn't feeling it. Especially since I had 11 miles to do the next day.

I woke up super early Saturday to get my miles in. I drank some water, ate a banana, and set out on my run. It was muggy, and I struggled. Miles 1-4 were 11:03, 12:41, 12:18, and 12:17. At that point, I walked to take my gel. The next miles were 13:45, 12:05, and 15:04. I was ready to be done. Lots of singing happened to try to take my mind off how much farther I had to go. I took another gel, and ticked my last four miles off in 12:32, 13:47, 12:03, and 13:53. I was relieved to be done. I stretched, took an ice bath, and got in a 30 minute nap before the rest of my day commenced.

Overall, it was a crappy week. No yoga, and only one strength day. Gotta get on that cross-training! The hill run was the only run I felt good about. That, and the fact that I just kept of going on Saturday, even though I wanted to stop. I know that these miles in the humid Illinois summer will make my training in the fall feel easier.  I'm looking forward to next week, which will bring my first tempo run on Wednesday.

Total weekly miles - 24.28
Total Monumental miles - 112.57

Happy Running!


No comments:

Post a Comment