Monday, July 6, 2015

Monumental Training Week 5

Well hello, hello!

Week 5 is in the books! It was definitely a rough week. I had two 5+ mile runs before work. Not something I'm used to doing. Usually, I would run 3-4 miles tops before work. That won't work for marathon training.

Monday is track day. This week, Lynnae had me complete a 6 X 400, 1:2 recovery, with a 2 mile warm up, and 1 mile cool down. I got my warm up in (12:58, 15:17). I had to walk a few times, my legs were sore from my long run Saturday. I also stopped at the office for water before hitting the track. My 400 splits were 1:56, 1:58, 2:02, 2:01, 2:06, 1:59. My cool down mile was ran in 11:49. The workout would have had me stop at 5.93, but I had to round it off to make an even 6. I am loving the track, even though it is tough. And man was this workout tough. But I do know the tough workouts will pay off in November.

I went to the gym after work to get in some strength training. I've been slacking on it, and decided that Monday's after work, is when I will get that done. It's now penciled in the schedule. My coach didn't write in strength training, but suggested that I do it, of course. I have also penciled in a longer yoga practice on Thursdays. And have been doing an 18 minutes of yoga for runners when I feel tight in the evenings. We will see how well I stick with it. Keep me accountable if you don't see me mention it!

Tuesday was a rest day, but I did foam roll, and a little yoga. My legs were tight from Monday, and my glutes were sore. Holy squat! I definitely need more of them in my life.

Wednesday was a bad day. I had 5 miles scheduled. I woke up to an upset stomach, but went out after it settled. The workout was a mile warm up, 5 X 2:00 hard, 2:00 easy recovery, finish easy. My legs were still sore and tight from Monday. My first mile was a sluggish 13:44. I proceeded to do the prescribed workout. After the 4th set, I realized that I had not set up my Garmin correctly. I re-started my watch, and took off. I looked down at some point, and my watch had turned off!!!! CRAP! When it came back on, it was still in the workout, so I started my cool down then. I finished in 1:00:30.

I came home, stretched and refueled. I felt horrible, and ended up taking a sick day. I spent the day relaxing and hydrating.

Thursday flew by, and I only got 20 minutes of yoga in. I intended to do a longer practice, but I will take what I can get.

Friday's workout was 3 miles with strides. I ended up finishing right at 4 miles at a very slow pace. I walked too much on this one.

Saturday was my first double digit run of the training cycle. I woke up early, drank some water, ate a banana, and went out the door. I wore my hydration pack again, and brought Nuun in a bottle.  I went a new route, got snagged up by bridge construction, and had to turn around and go 2.5 miles back the way I came. I hit my halfway point before I even got into town. I took a gel around mile 4, and again around mile 7. I felt great, and my fastest mile was my last. My second half of the run was over 5 minutes faster than the first half! I don't think I've ever done that on a long run. I finished in 2:01:57, 12:11 pace. My moving time was 1:56:31, which means I was stopped for 5 full minutes during my run. I don't count moving time, only the total time. It won't count on race day. It is handy to see though. My actual average pace was right on where I was supposed to be. All in all, it was a great run! I drank more Nuun than water. It was a humid one out and I was sweating like crazy!

When I finished, I drank some water and chocolate milk, stretched and rolled, soaked my legs in the tub-cold water with a little ice. I ate a peanut butter and banana sandwich. Then it was off to watch the parade and enjoy the 4th, complete with a fish dinner at the park. Not the best recovery food, but it tasted pretty darn good!

Weekly mileage - 25
Total Monumental mileage - 88.29

Happy Running!


No comments:

Post a Comment